From Captain Dudley’s Central District email newsletter, always succinct and sometimes entertaining.
On 1/31/08 at 11:17 PM, on Jones at Cosmo, Officers Paul Doherty and
Freddy Alvarez were on patrol when they noticed a car with no license
plates stopped in a bus zone. The Officers stopped the vehicle and
determined that the operator’s license was expired, and that he had an
outstanding warrant for his arrest. The outstanding $10K warrant was for
a previous violation of driving without a license. In fact, at the time
of this arrest, the suspect had three active DMV suspensions of his
license! A search of the vehicle after the arrest yielded some
marijuana, a glass crack pipe, and an open (still cold) 12oz beer can.
This arrest gets points for:
1) Helping MUNI! Now I know who those people are who park in bus zones. Inconveniencing 100s of people for their selfishness.
2) Treasure trove phenomenon: little did they know ticketing one double-parked car would get so many warrants!
3) General stupidity of criminal (see 1&2 above)
4) The snowball effect: Get one warrant, get many more because you never dealt with that one… sad
5) Exclamation points- even jaded SF cops have a sense of wonder sometimes.
6) The “still cold” comment on the beer. And what a nice little Tuesday breakfast that makes- some crack, some dope, and a beer. Breakfast of Champions.