Thurs. Haight Hearing to Determine Parking Future

A proposed plan to move part of the City College Campus to Haight street may have an impact on parking and traffic in the Haight, Panhandle, and Cole Valley neighborhoods.
The shuttered William De Avila Elementary School at 1351 Haight St. may soon be the site of a temporary 2000-student City College annex, as the college renovates its John Adams campus, with unknown consequences for an already dense corridor.

There will be a neighborhood hearing held at the De Avila school at 7PM on Thursday Nov 30 so that residents can comment and find out more.

(more opinion after the jump)

I’ve already received a couple of emails from concerned friends who live in the area, and here’s a repost of their concerns:

If you have a car and live in LOWER/MIDDLE/UPPER HAIGHT, COLE VALLEY, UCSF, and PANHANDLE neighborhoods, it’s imperative you attend this hearing on Thursday night, 11/30 at 7pm.

The subject will be City College’s plans to relocate John Adams Community College to the DeAvila school on Waller between Masonic and Central.

The move will add 2000 students and 150 faculty to our neighborhood. The college plans to have them park in a lot at Hayes and Masonic, then take a shuttle bus to DeAvila. Realistically though, how many of them do you expect will do this?

Even if according to the article below, 70% of the student body takes public transit to school – that leaves 30% -or- 716 students and teachers who will still require parking spots. If you want to preserve the scarce parking in our neighborhood, you need to act quickly.

Some things you can do:

  1. Attend the hearing at 7pm on Thursday, November 30 at DeAvila School.
  2. Notify Sup. Mirkarimi’s office that you will be attending the meeting by phoning his legislative aide, Boris Delepine at 554-6758
  3. If you can’t make it, write an email to Ross.Mirkarimi@sfgov.org indicating your opposition to the project. Emails must be received by 5pm on Thursday, Nov. 30.

Some points to include:

  • Parking in the area is already in critically short supply
  • Very few residents of Waller or Central Streets have garages
  • HANC does not represent the residents of this area and was not authorized to approve this project
  • Residents of the area were NEVER formally notified of this project in any way, shape, or form.
  • We do not believe that the parking shuttle will be used by students, faculty, or staff
  • We want the project STOPPED until these issues are resolved.

2 Comments so far

  1. Barce (unregistered) on November 29th, 2006 @ 2:16 pm

    Hi, I just wanted to clear up a few things about HANC and John Adams. The public was notified via flyers along Masonic from Hayes to Haight.

    HANC doesn’t represent the Haight, but does provide a forum for residents the make their views heard. HANC runs a recycling facility and that money from recycling is put back into the community in the form of grants.

    Cheers,
    Barce


  2. KWillets (unregistered) on November 29th, 2006 @ 4:47 pm

    Mmmm…bring the popcorn. There’s nothing better than watching motorists fight over their welfare.



Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.