Helping Others in the Bay Area
With our busy lives, we often forget that there are others out there that can use our talents, services and hearts. I started doing some volunteer work last year that is very tough, yet can be incredibly rewarding. It has enriched my life like no other activity I have ever done.
I thought that sharing this feeling with others is worth a shot. The following are some local organizations that are currently looking for a few good volunteers, specifically to help others.
- Hands On Bay Area: a wide variety of community service volunteer opportunities. They can find projects to match your skills.
- Civic Center Volunteers, County of Marin: Hearing & Vision Screeners, Job Coaches, Peer Counseling, as well as Administrative volunteers and more
- SF Food Bank: Food distribution, administrative volunteer
- Bill Wilson Center, Santa Clara & San Jose: Phone counselor, Grief Support, as well as multiple opportunities in working with youth
- St. Vincent de Paul Society, San Mateo: visits in homes of needy, homeless help centers
- Best Buddies CA, bay-area wide: Friendship programs for all ages with intellectual disabilities. They offer E-Buddies (friends over e-mail) opportunities as well.
- Crisis Resolution Services, Walnut Creek: Trauma Interventionists
- Pets Are Wonderful Support (PAWS), SF: Dog walking & pet care for people with AIDS and other disabilities
Any help you can give is greatly valued, no matter how small you may think your contribution may be. You can find opportunities more specific to your skills, interests as well as physical location at Volunteer Match (also a Bay Area company).
Post any organizations you volunteer with in the comments, as well!